The Ctuous Society

The Dweller

Paul LeMond’s psychic dreams foretold of a series of child murders in Boston. The investigators went searching for answers.

Stumbling onto clues, they laid their eyes on the old Cornwallis mansion. Ambrose and Amelia Cornwallis were killed in an altercation in 1947. From what they could gather, the couple’s stillborn baby was the root cause of this misery. Sarah Cornwallis lived in the house when they arrived.

They snooped around for a bit, before questioning Sarah. Upon realizing she was senile and that they wouldn’t get anything of interest from her, they decided to snoop around. They found lots of old, rotting food, including several full sized chickens.

Their trip led up to the second floor, and shortly thereafter to the mysterious tower. Here, they discovered some letters in German, between Mr. Cornwallis and a mysterious Baron Hauptman. They also found Latin journal entries, and a pair of oddly colored spectacles.

In his excitement, Simon Tucker tried on the pair of spectacles. The visions he saw were unsettling, so he naturally made Dirk Pitt wear them. Dirk wasn’t as lucky as Simon, and lost some of his fingers.

Unsure what to do next, they visited the Cornwallis’ family crypt at All Heart’s Cemetery. They found a few pieces of information. First off, a an earlier newspaper article told of a graverobber. They confirmed Ambrose had been turned face up, which the graverobber claimed to do because he believed Ambrose was a warlock. Furthermore, after some morally ambiguity, they opened the child’s coffin. Instead of a small skeleton, they found rocks.

While they didn’t have many leads to go on for the murders, they were on the trail of Baron Hauptman. In contact with Pavo Mucha, they cross referenced earlier evidence and strongly urged to head for sent to Romania.

The Dreamer

The investigators picked up a case in Boston, New York. A state celebrity, Paul LeMond, had gone missing. They convinced his mother, Irene LeMond, they could find him.

During their investigations, they they ran into a cast of personalities:
- Velma Peters, Paul’s girlfriend.
- Herbert Whitefield, Paul’s manager.
- Betty Avery, Herbert’s assistant.
- Bugsy Wexler, Buffalo’s criminal kingpin.
- Clarence Rodgers, under the pseudonym John Dervin.

With the help of Betty, the investigators ransacked Herbert’s office. They connected Herbert to Bugsy Wexler through unpaid bills and threatening letters.

On their way to Wexler, they stopped by Clarence Rodgers’s house. They saw through John Dervin’s facade, and tracked down his address. This didn’t go as planned, as they were taken aback by an alien apparatus. Simon Tucker correctly assembled the machine, and they were faced with disturbing pictures of a hideous being. In his confusion and terror, Dirk Pitt shot the device and caused a fire. Rodgers’s house burned down.

After recuperating, the group visited Wexler’s office. Being less than welcome, they got captured and sent to his office. Through quick wit, they struck a deal with the kingpin. Being fed up with Herbert, he’s willing to sell them Paul’s location.

With Wexler’s information, they find Paul at Woods Estate Rest Home.

Romania and Castle Dark


The team, now consisting of Dirk Pitt and Michael Jones, traveled to Romania shortly after investigations in Boston. Their had uncovered a lead to a baron Hauptman, and Pavo Mucha strongly urged them to follow it.

The two of them landed in Romania shortly after, at Cluj-Napoca airport. One of Pavo Mucha’s agents, Natalia , were there to greet them.

The day after, after a less pleasant hotel stay, they headed for Drovosna. Because of the roads and weather, going there by car was out of the question. They managed to hitch a ride with a horse carriage instead.

Well into the unpleasant lands of Transylvania, they found a small gypsy encampment. It wasn’t that pleasant. Dude got shanked and they lit him on fire and now we’re up to speed.

The Case


An anonymous source told us the police has uncovered a chamber of trapped people in Woonsocket. More at 11.


Our earlier headline turned out to be an elaborate hoax.

The Edge of Darkness

Excerpts from Michael Jones’ journal

Editors note: The text has been edited for brevity.

March, 1974

I’m currently in a library, doing some research on new information I gained from Rupert. Oh, poor old bastard, it’s been nearly 40 years, and when I finally find him, he’s on his death bed.

Apparently, in his youth, Rupert rode with a small band of students, fronting as a fraternity. In reality, one member (Ed. Marion Allen) had acquired a special book written in Latin. The book described several rituals and objects, that could be used to summon spirits.

The group tried some small rituals as a curiosity, but due to dubious sources or lack of discipline, none of them worked. Not until Allen came one day with a sarcophagus, infant sized, described in the book. They tried to use the sarcophagus to summon a guide to help them on further endeavors, but it went terribly wrong.

Rupert has asked me and four others to try right his wrongs in the farmhouse, so he gave us the journal, the sarcophagus, and a key to the house. […] It’s not exactly a professional team, but I trust Rupert’s judgement.

Editor’s note: The four others were: Steve Grant, Jack Revyg-Camylio, Lena McRay and Zodd Brodey.

We arrived the farmhouse late afternoon. I quickly found the symbols Marion had plotted down, the binding circle fully intact, and detailed notes of what we need to do to rid ourselves of this monster. On arrival, I warned the rest of the attic, telling them not to go up there, as the spirit was believed to reside there.

The documents said we had to “unsummon” the spirit at the stroke of midnight, and the ritual could take several hours. Jack and I remained at the house, while the rest went back to the city to get supplies. I found the least dirty piece of furniture and decided to get some sleep, it would be a long night, after all.

I awoke to a scream, noticed Jack on the floor beside an ancient fridge… Directly beneath the attic hatch, which was slightly ajar, and was slammed close with force. Jack would not stop screaming, the kid was cut bad across the face. I patched him up as best I could, and tried getting him back to his senses.

The fool had heard thumping on the ceiling from the attic, and was curious to see what was there, after I had explicitly told everyone not to. Luckily for him, the rest of the gang came back, and Lena is pretty good as a field medic. After this, there was no questioning that we were dealing with a serious matter, and everyone seemed firm in their resolve to… resolve this matter.

We had a lot of time to kill, and Lena had brought her dog. After putting Jack on a couch to rest up, she took her dog for a walk. She came back, fifteen minutes later. She ran in through the door, screaming, without her dog. She started speaking nonsense about the dog flying and getting cut, as if something invisible had grabbed him.

[…] The entire area was under the influence of this thing, and the house is the only safe place, because of Marion Allen’s symbols stopping the spirit from coming inside. I do not care what happens next. Even if I have to sit here chanting latin for two days straight ALONE, I will not leave the thresholds of this cabin.

April, 1974

I woke up here in this hospital two weeks later, three days ago. The crew told the hospital staff I had been in an accident with a tractor. How ironic, to try reading behind newspaper articles to get to the truth, then starring in one.

From what I remember, the plan went smoothly until the first shift was up. I started the ritual with Zodd, then got relieved by Stephen. I went to get Lena, who seemed to be doing much better.

Then there was a knock on the door. […] The hobo was back, and he seemed scared. […] The bastard dragged me out the door, with unnatural power for such a frail man. I landed on top of him, and we struggled a bit, when my left arm got grabbed by what felt like a claw. Only there was nothing there. In my panic, I tried shooting the empty air where I knew something SHOULD have been, to no avail. […] My only thoughts were of getting back inside. I think I shot the man, but if I hit him, it had little effect.

A sudden jolt of pain in my left arm reminded me I was still being grabbed by nothing from the other side. I slammed my gun down where I thought I was being grabbed from, and the invisible claw gave way. As I was being pulled back, I remember a sweet relief as I saw the ceiling above, then there was a flash of intense pain, right under my left shoulder. This pain was like nothing I’ve ever felt before, or care to feel again. The whole world went red, then black. It didn’t matter though: I was finally inside.

The Haunted Corbitt Estate
An investigation gone wrong...

Case file opened:
_ 1968-05-09
___ The landlord, Harry Walters, acquired the firm’s services.
_ 1968-05-11
___ A team was sent to investigate the Corbitt estate.
___ They met up with, and was briefed by Mr. Walters.
___ The team researched the house’s background, and grew suspicious of foul play.
___ Upon investigating the house, the team discovered what they believed to be Mr. Corbitt in the basement.
___ One team member was killed in action.
___ One team member lit the house on fire.
______ She is currently locked in a hospital for the criminally insane.
___ Mr. Corbitt is believed to be under control.
Case file closed: 1968-05-15

(Newspaper clipping gathered a few days after the event.)

The Corbitt House

Background information

For nearly a century, accidents and horrible events transpired at the old Corbitt house. Its residents were maimed, killed, and driven mad.

Most people believed the house to be haunted. As time passed, only the poverty-stricken and oblivious dared stay.

The houseowner’s plan

In 1968, Harry Walters owned the house. He bought it at a reasonable price, with intentions of subletting. “I thought the rumors were just that,” he told us, “We’re in the sixties – does anyone actually believe in hauntings any more?” He started advertising and expected renters to come. Weeks grew to months, months to a year.

“I was happy to see the Macario family move in,” Mr. Walters said Unfortunately, both Vittorio and Gabriela Macario were soon institutionalized. “The last weeks they stayed, they said they were enveloped in dread. Apparently, plates were throwing themselves at them. I’ve been in contact with their caretakers, who say they Gabriela is haunted to yellow eyes – whatever that means.”

With this incident in mind, his chances of finding renters were even worse.

Mr. Walters enlisted the services of Pavo Mucha, who sent a team of four. “When I saw the newspaper ad for that investigation firm, I thought ‘Why not?’.”

The investigators were supposed to stay in the house, clear out any problems, and prove the house “ghost free”.

The incident

“I was in the kitchen when I smelled the smoke,” said Mr. Walters, “and my stomach was immediately in knots. A black column rose above the rooftops.” He later added, “You know, when you’ve started getting optimistic, anything bad is amplified a hundred times!”

Within hours, the house was reduces to smoldering ruins.

The police department believes it to be arson. Burn patterns revealed the fire started in the living room, and alcohol is believed used as an accelerant.

Among the ruins, the police discovered the charred remains of two people. James Gilbert, one of Pavo Mucha’s employees, is believed to be among them. The other deceased has yet to be identified. While the police has yet to come forward with an official statement, the second victim’s remains is rumored to be “unnatural” and “[…] too large to be a person!”


Of the four investigators, three still remain.

Peter Malhoy was brought in for questioning, and was cleared of all charges.

The police’s main suspect is a woman, who later that day set fire to her own apartment with her roommate inside. She has been charged with three murders, and is residing in an institution for the criminally insane.

A mysterious figure known only as “Ace” is also involved. All readers are urged to contact the police with any information.

Pavo Mucha’s firm has yet to come forward with an official statement.


I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.